Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1707 Extracts from the mago-cabalistic works of George Welling
TitleExtracts from the mago-cabalistic works of George Welling
- Welling, Georg von, 1655-1727
- Sibly, E. 1751-1800
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1707
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962943733503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
An English translation by Charles Rainsford of selections from a cabalistic work by Georg von Welling that was printed in German in 1719 and transcribed in this manuscript by the occult writer Ebenezer Sibly. The text is divided into three sections based on the three principles of alchemy: the first section discusses the origin of common salt (p. 1); the second section pertains to sulphur (p. 96); and the third section discusses mercury (p. 164). There is a leaf laid into the manuscript with an engraved astrological chart for George III calculated by Charles Brent.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. v).
Extent141 leaves : 231 x 177 (172 x 135) mm. bound to 139 x 197 mm. +
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 141 + i (contemporary paper) leaves; [xvi], 1-49, 51, [ii], 52-163, 163, [iii], 164-194, 196-200, [ii], 201-236, [237-260]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 624, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, English
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1707: Extracts from the mago-cabalistic works of George Welling are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5637_0001.tif (98.2 MB)
5637_0001_thumb.jpg (7.7 KB)
5637_0001_web.jpg (438.0 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
5637_0010.tif (98.2 MB)
5637_0010_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
5637_0010_web.jpg (348.4 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
5637_0011.tif (98.2 MB)
5637_0011_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
5637_0011_web.jpg (277.6 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 1
5637_0083.tif (98.2 MB)
5637_0083_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
5637_0083_web.jpg (251.3 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 2
5637_0084.tif (98.2 MB)
5637_0084_thumb.jpg (2.2 KB)
5637_0084_web.jpg (240.6 KB)