Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1719 Music notebook
Call numberMs. Codex 1719
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6756224
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- circa 1775
Collection of seven sonatas (the seventh appears to be incomplete due to several leaves that are lacking) and ten folk songs, with several pages discussing aspects of music theory such as concords and discords (p. 1-5), and several untitled pages of notation. Consists of 47 pages written in one direction followed by 9 pages written in the other direction and starting from the opposite end of the book. Bookseller's description notes that the label on the inside lower cover (Parham, Sussex) refers to Parham House in Sussex and makes it possible that this book was in the collection of Sir Cecil Bishopp or one of his relatives.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent28 leaves 178 x 247 mm. bound to 185 x 251 mm
FoliationPaper, 28 leaves; [1-56]; modern pagination in pencil, lower outer corners.
BindingContemporary gold-paneled leather with marbled paper pastedowns. Several leaves are torn, with one particularly severe tear (p. 7-8).
- Sold by Samuel Gedge, Ltd., 2015.
- Folk songs--Early works to 1800
- Music theory--Early works to 1800
- Sonatas--Early works to 1800
- Folk songs
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1719: Music notebook are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5328_0001.tif (95.3 MB)
5328_0001_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
5328_0001_web.jpg (460.3 KB)