Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1727 Recipe book
Other related names
- Hinde, Anne, 19th century, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1727
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9963005863503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- circa 1770
Collection of 156 numbered recipes, most with named sources. Two frequent sources are Mrs. Morland (Dorothy Morland, 1740-1823) of Capplethwaite Hall (Yorkshire) and Mrs. Morland of Court Lodge (Kent). Mrs. Matson and Mrs. Wilson, also cited as sources, are women from two families to whom the Morlands were related by marriage. Two recipes are from printed sources, an unidentified magazine (f. 13v) and newspaper (f. 73v). Few of the recipes are attributed to aristocratic households, although the ingredients called for and the variety of preparations suggest relative affluence. The recipes cover a wide range of dishes, including meats, fish, shellfish, savory and sweet puddings, other desserts, and wines. A brief section at the end contains a small number of additional recipes, mostly for household and medical preparations (f. 73-75, with at least one leaf missing both before and after f. 73). A recipe for lettuce soup written on a loose sheet is laid inside the lower cover.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent83 leaves : 200 x 160 mm bound to 205 x 165 mm +
FoliationPaper, 83; [1-83] (39-72, 76-83 blank), modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) quarter sheep with comb-marbled paper covers; loss of leather along spine (Gedge).
- Formerly owned by Anne Hinde (inscription dated 1832, inside front cover; one of the recipe sources is a Mrs. Hinde, f. 31r).
- Sold by Samuel Gedge Ltd. (Hanworth, England), catalog 19 (2014), number 21.
- Cooking, English--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1727: Recipe book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5640_0001.tif (71.6 MB)
5640_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
5640_0001_web.jpg (283.1 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
5640_0173.tif (71.6 MB)
5640_0173_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
5640_0173_web.jpg (316.9 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
5640_0174.tif (71.6 MB)
5640_0174_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
5640_0174_web.jpg (236.5 KB)