Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1773 Sarah Bulkeley commonplace book
TitleSarah Bulkeley commonplace book
- Bulkeley, Sarah, 1772?-1852
- Friends of the Library Endowment Fund
Call numberMs. Codex 1773
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9969443993503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
A worn, marble paper covered volume comprising poetry, excerpts, and quotations compiled by Sarah Bulkeley spanning the years from 1797 to 1821. The writings are from various sources cited by Bulkeley. Some of the authors in the volume include William Shakespeare, Alexander Pope, John Milton, and Ben Johnson. There are also long passages from The method of teaching and studying the Belles letters by Mr. Rollin and from works by Madame de Genlis. Included in the volume is one medicinal recipe for whooping cough. Some personal information regarding Sarah Bulkeley's family is recorded in the volume. Bulkeley noted the birth and death dates of her parents Jesse and Rebecca Waln and the date of her marriage to Thomas Bulkeley. One item in the volume by Bulkeley noted Harriet, possibly a friend, arrived in Lisbon in 1807 and was still there in 1812. Sarah Bulkeley is written in ink on the front cover.
- Sold by Bloomsbury Auctions (London, England), 2016, lot 156.
- English poetry
- English literature
- Commonplace books
- Manuscripts, American--18th century
- Manuscripts, American--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 1773: Sarah Bulkeley commonplace book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7112_0001.tif (87.7 MB)
7112_0001_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
7112_0001_web.jpg (305.4 KB)
mscodex1773_body0103.tif (259.6 MB)
mscodex1773_body0103_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
mscodex1773_body0103_web.jpg (252.6 KB)