Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1782 Catalogus plantarum in horto regio parisiis ... etc..
TitleCatalogus plantarum in horto regio parisiis ... etc..
- Lémery, Nicolas, 1645-1715
Other related names
- Emery, G. E, former owner
- Miner, Lawrence W., 1860-, former owner
- Laird, Marshall, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1782
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9970550413503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin (catalogue of plants, p. 1-184, with English names added in the original hand) and French (catalogue of contents of apothecary shop, p. 491-506), with an early 20th-century list added in English (p. 188-218)
Catalogue of plants in the Jardin du Roi, originally a royal garden for medicinal plants in Paris now named the Jardin des Plantes, listing 1,864 species grouped by genus. An incomplete index at the front of the volume lists species alphabetically and leaves room for folio numbers that were never added. Both the index and the catalogue include English names added for some species. Beginning from the back of the volume upside down is a catalogue of the contents of Lémery's apothecary shop in September 1682, written as continuous text with entries separated by commas, but divided into categories of Les animaux (from animals); Bois et racines (from woods and roots); Sucs, gommes, resines (from juices, gums, and resins); Fruits, bayes, et semences (from fruits, berries, and seeds); and Mineraux (from minerals, including mummy wrapping and paper from China and Japan). In the blank pages in the middle, early 20th-century owner Lawrence W. Miner kept a list of household goods, mostly pieces of china, but also items in glass, wood, and metal.
- Ms. codex.
- Title for manuscript from caption title for predominant work (p. 49).
Extent260 leaves : 115 x 82 mm bound to 120 x 95 mm
CollationPaper, 260 leaves; 1⁴ 2-4⁸ 5-8¹⁶ 9¹⁵ 10-13⁸ 14⁶ 15-26⁸ 27⁸(-7) 28⁴ 29⁸; gatherings 6-10 signed B-F in modern pencil, lower right first recto; paginated [i-viii], 1-33, [34-520 (34-35, 44-48, 185-187, 219-490 blank)]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary (late 17th-century) parchment with broken headband; spine label, circa 1800 (Antiquariaat Forum): MSS, Apothecary Catalogue, Paris, 1682.
- Formerly owned by the Ferguson family, probably England, late 17th or 18th century (inscriptions, p. v, 508).
- Formerly owned by by G.E. Emery, London, probably 19th century (stamp, p. i).
- Formerly owned by Lawrence W. Miner, New London, Connecticut (inscription dated 1905, p. v).
- Formerly owned by Marshall Laird, biologist in Newfoundland and New Zealand (bookplate inside front cover).
- Sold by Antiquariaat Forum (Netherlands), 2016.
- Jardin du roi (France)--Early works to 1800
- Medicinal plants--Early works to 1800
- Catalogs (documents)
- Lists (document genres)
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, French--17th century
- Manuscripts, American--20th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Ms. Codex 1782: Catalogus plantarum in horto regio parisiis ... etc.. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
5675_0001.tif (28.0 MB)
5675_0001_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
5675_0001_web.jpg (471.3 KB)
5675_0016.tif (28.0 MB)
5675_0016_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
5675_0016_web.jpg (340.0 KB)
Section: Herbae, frutices et arbores medicinales, p.1
5675_0064.tif (28.0 MB)
5675_0064_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
5675_0064_web.jpg (376.0 KB)
Section: Catalogus plantarum in horto regio parisiis, anno 1682, p.49
5675_0203.tif (28.0 MB)
5675_0203_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
5675_0203_web.jpg (423.7 KB)
Section: [Catalogue of china, glass, and small wooden and metal accessories], p.188
5675_0506.tif (28.0 MB)
5675_0506_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
5675_0506_web.jpg (444.3 KB)
Section: Catalogue de tous les medicamens simples chez Monsieur Lemery apothecaire, p.491