Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1956 Livesley family recipe book.
TitleLivesley family recipe book.
- Edgar Fahs Smith Memorial Fund
Call numberMs. Codex 1956
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9970981033503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- circa 1715
Collection of recipes and a few remedies from the United Kingdom in the early 18th century, possibly compiled by members of the Livesley family. Through most of the book, the recipes are numbered, 1-82 (f. 1r-20r); 25 additional recipes are not numbered (f. 19v-27r). The recipes for meats (chicken, beef, haggis, ham, mutton, sausages), desserts (cakes, puddings, custards), pickles, sauces, syrups and preserves are in no apparent order. Remedies (stone, colic, stomach pain, cough, ague) are intermixed with recipes. Many recipes and remedies have attributions, including a recipe to pickle cucumbers from Mrs. Livesley (f. 14r). Two pages in the book were used for simple accounts, one for records of butter (with a mention of "my brother Livesley") and ale dated 1714 and 1715 (f. 1r), and one, upside down, for money paid for washing and lent to the washer in November and December 1714 (f. 3v). Two gatherings at the beginning (approximately 24 leaves) and the first and third leaves of the first extant gathering have been torn out, and the stubs suggest that these too were used for accounts. Approximately 7 leaves at the end have also been cut out; these were more likely blank.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent27 leaves : 200 x 162 mm bound to 205 x 170 mm
CollationPaper, 27; 1¹²⁻² (-1, -3) 2¹² 3¹²⁻⁷ (-6, -7, -8, -9, -10, -11, -12); modern foliation in pencil, 1-27, upper right recto.
Binding18th-century parchment over cardboard.
- Sold at auction at Bloomsbury Auctions (London), 27 July 2016, lot 134.
- Cooking, English--Early works to 1800
- Traditional medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Recipe book
- 18th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 1956: Livesley family recipe book. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
9646_0001.tif (75.6 MB)
9646_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
9646_0001_web.jpg (432.2 KB)