Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 2029 Instructions for artillery exercises with cannons and mortars.
TitleInstructions for artillery exercises with cannons and mortars.
Call numberMs. Codex 2029
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9972117263503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1700 and 1799
Instructions for artillery exercises with cannons and mortars, with numbered steps for each exercise. At least one leaf is missing after the frontispiece.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent73 leaves : 143 x 102 (128 x 82) mm bound to 148 x 110 mm
CollationPaper, i (modern paper) + 73 + i (modern paper); singleton frontispiece, 1⁸⁻¹ (leaf 1 missing) 2-8⁸ 9⁸⁺¹ (leaf 9 single); contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, [i-ii], 3-146, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) limp vellum with two twine clasps and remnants of two thong catches on the fore-edge; modern paper pastedowns and flyleaves.
Pen and wash frontispiece of Saint Barbara, patron saint of cannoneers and artillerymen, depicted with martyr's palm and cannon with a domed church in a walled city in the background (p. i); pen and wash cartouches enclosing exercise headings (p. 9, 22, 28, 35, 44, 65, 73, 84, 99, 118, 135); pen and wash vignettes of scallop shells at the end of sections (p. 36, 72); small ink drawing of a seaside scene with buildings and ships at the end of a section; (p. 98); and penwork at the end of sections (p. 34, 44, 64, 66, 71, 83, 98, 146).
- Sold at auction at Swann Galleries (New York), 18 October 2016, lot 80.
- Artillery drill and tactics--Early works to 1800
- Artillery--Early works to 1800
- Military art and science--Early works to 1800
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Pen and wash drawings
- Manuscripts, Spanish--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- 18th century
- Military art and science
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 2029: Instructions for artillery exercises with cannons and mortars. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
- 3 — [Instructions for artillery exercises with cannons and mortars]
Inside front cover
10344_0001.tif (37.9 MB)
10344_0001_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
10344_0001_web.jpg (247.4 KB)
10344_0004.tif (37.9 MB)
10344_0004_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
10344_0004_web.jpg (443.4 KB)
Decoration: Pen and wash drawing, Saint Barbara
10344_0006.tif (37.9 MB)
10344_0006_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
10344_0006_web.jpg (282.6 KB)
Section: [Instructions for artillery exercises with cannons and mortars]
10344_0101.tif (37.9 MB)
10344_0101_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
10344_0101_web.jpg (342.1 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Landscape with buildings and ships
Inside back cover
10344_0152.tif (37.9 MB)
10344_0152_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
10344_0152_web.jpg (238.3 KB)