Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 2033 Amusements utiles et curieux :
TitleAmusements utiles et curieux :
Other related names
- Chappon, Pierre, active 18th century, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 2033
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9977523551303681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageFrench, with two Latin epigraphs (p. 1)
Collection of recipes and practical and informational articles on medicinal, culinary, horticultural, metallurgical, and other household and scientific topics (including a 1752 article on electricity referring to Benjamin Franklin and the French translation, published in 1752, of his Experiments and observations on electricity, published in 1751, p. 31-44). The articles are largely copied, not in order of publication, from 1751 and 1752 issues of the Journal oeconomique, a journal published in Paris from 1751 to 1772. A few articles are copied from Noël Chomel's Dictionnaire oeconomique, which was published in several editions in the first half of the 18th century. A table of contents at the end, written on pages that seem to be marked in the upper outer corners with letters for an index, is also in the hand of the compiler. Additional recipes, mostly medical, have been added by a slightly later hand at the end (p. 290-309), along with corresponding entries at the end of the table of contents (p. 326-328).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. v).
Extent164 leaves : 187 x 144 (148 x 106) mm bound to 196 x 155 mm
FoliationPaper, iii + 164 leaves; [i-vi], 1-309, [310-328]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) marbled calf (Kinmont), blind-tooled, gilt spine with spine title AMUSEM CURIEUX DE M. DE FOSSE; marbled endpapers.
Ornamental border drawn and stamped in black and green ink on title page (p. 5); text block border on all pages in ink; frontispiece formed from two printed maps, the upper half Environs de Paris and the lower half France Ecclesiastique, with a simple border in ink (p. iv).
- Possibly compiled by M. De Fosse or M. De Fosseux (spine label).
- Formerly owned by Pierre Chappon, late 18th century, possibly the French doctor and author P. Chappon, 1749-1810 (owner inscription, p. iv).
- Offered for sale at auction by Chauviré Courant (Angers), 30 May 2018, lot 417.
- Offered for sale by Bonnefoi Livres Anciens (Paris), catalog 185, number 40.
- Sold by Ben Kinmont (Sebastapol, California), 2019.
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Cooking, French--Early works to 1800
- Natural history--Pre-Linnean works
- Electricity--Experiments--Early works to 1800
- Cooking, French
- Natural history
- Manuscripts, European
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Early works
- Prescriptions, formulae, receipts, etc
- Recipe book
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 2033: Amusements utiles et curieux : are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
11245_0001.tif (66.6 MB)
11245_0001_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
11245_0001_web.jpg (399.1 KB)
11245_0007.tif (66.6 MB)
11245_0007_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
11245_0007_web.jpg (337.3 KB)
Decoration: Printed map, Environs de Paris
Decoration: Printed map, France ecclésiastique
11245_0008.tif (66.6 MB)
11245_0008_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
11245_0008_web.jpg (311.5 KB)
Section: Amusements utiles et curieux
Decoration: Decorated title page
11245_0010.tif (66.6 MB)
11245_0010_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
11245_0010_web.jpg (298.6 KB)
Section: Amusements utiles et agréables
11245_0320.tif (66.6 MB)
11245_0320_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
11245_0320_web.jpg (313.6 KB)
Section: Cherchez, vous trouverez [Table of contents]
Inside back cover
11245_0340.tif (66.6 MB)
11245_0340_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
11245_0340_web.jpg (423.5 KB)