Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 204 La Roche
- Mackenzie, Henry, 1745-1831
Call numberMs. Codex 204
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580598
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in Edinburgh, 1779 (Zacour-Hirsch).
Copy of Mackenzie's The Story of La Roche (f. 1r-55r). Also includes some verse on Tickell (f. 71r-72r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title and author from caption title (f. 1r).
- Incipit of introduction (f. 1r): When I first undertook this publication, it was suggested by some of my friends, and indeed, accorded entirely with my own ideas, that there should be nothing of religion in it.
- Incipit of text (f. 4r, headed "To the Author of the Mirror"): More than forty years ago, an English philosopher, whose works have since been read and admired by all Europe, resided at a little town in France.
Extent81 leaves : 181 x 115 (152 x 106) mm. bound to 187 x 122 mm
FoliationPaper, 81; [i, 1-80]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary full calf. Wearing at edges. Inside hinges splitting.
- Acquired, 1942.
- English literature--18th century
- English prose literature--18th century
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
3761_0001.tif (40.6 MB)
3761_0001_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
3761_0001_web.jpg (223.9 KB)