Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 2054 Vespers etc.
- Catholic Church
Call numberMs. Codex 2054
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9977866352803681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageEnglish, with Latin chant texts
- circa 1760
Antiphonary with chants for the Catholic evening service of Vespers, notated in square neumes. The antiphons are divided into three categories, roughly following editions of service books for the evening office printed in the 18th century: the Proper for Sundays, chants to be used on Sundays through the year (arranged here according to the calendar year, from Epiphany through Advent); the Common of saints, chants to be used for the feasts of saints of various categories (martyr, confessor, bishop, virgin) who do not have specific antiphons in the third category; and chants for the feasts of a few particular saints (a very limited number here compared to the printed editions, arranged here starting at Christmas and breaking off at the Feast of Saint John the Baptist (June 24)). Only antiphons and hymns appear in the manuscript, with notes for the psalm tones to be used for the Vespers psalms (109, Dixit Dominus; 110, Confitebor; 111, Beatus vir; 112, Laudate pueri; and 113, In exitu Israel) and the Magnificat. The paper of gatherings 1-4 and the last two leaves is cream-colored; the paper of gatherings 5-12 and the first leaf of gathering 13 is coarser and has a slight blue or green tinge, but the ruling is consistent throughout.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. iii).
- 1. p.1-41: [Proper for Sundays] -- 2. p.42-72: [Common of saints] -- 3. p.72-106: [Proper for the feasts of saints (incomplete)].
Extent75 leaves : 255 x 190 (235 x 173) mm bound to 260 x 200 mm
CollationPaper, i + 75 leaves; 1-12⁶ 13⁶⁻³(-4, -5, -6); contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, [i-iv], 1-146 (107-146 blank), upper outer corners. The first recto and last verso of each gathering are marked with a 4 in ink, lower center.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) quarter sheep with paste paper over boards; minor damage to leather at head of spine
- Sold by Samuel Gedge Ltd. (Hanworth, England), Firsts Online catalog (2020 September 10-14), number 9.
- Catholic Church--England--Liturgy--Texts
- Catholic Church--England--History--18th century--Sources
- Vespers (Music)--England--Early works to 1800
- England--Church history--18th century--Sources
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Antiphonaries (Service books)
- Gregorian chants
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- 18th century
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 2054: Vespers etc. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
11259_0001.tif (104.8 MB)
11259_0001_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
11259_0001_web.jpg (253.0 KB)
Flyleaf 1 recto
11259_0002.tif (104.8 MB)
11259_0002_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
11259_0002_web.jpg (249.4 KB)
Flyleaf 1 verso
11259_0003.tif (104.8 MB)
11259_0003_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
11259_0003_web.jpg (236.0 KB)
11259_0008.tif (104.8 MB)
11259_0008_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
11259_0008_web.jpg (346.8 KB)
Section: [Proper for Sunday]
11259_0049.tif (104.8 MB)
11259_0049_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
11259_0049_web.jpg (349.9 KB)
Section: Common of saints
11259_0079.tif (104.8 MB)
11259_0079_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
11259_0079_web.jpg (343.3 KB)
Section: [Proper for the feasts of saints]
Inside back cover
11259_0154.tif (104.8 MB)
11259_0154_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
11259_0154_web.jpg (261.1 KB)
mscodex2054_wk1_body0000testref1.tif (173.1 MB)
mscodex2054_wk1_body0000testref1_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
mscodex2054_wk1_body0000testref1_web.jpg (260.4 KB)