Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 211 Latin-English miscellany
- Flatman, Thomas, 1637-1688
Other related names
- Cosens, F. W. 1819-1889, former owner
- Mitford, John, 1781-1859, former owner
- Groome, Robert Hindes, 1810-1889, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 211
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580599
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageTertullian commentary in Latin; other works in English
- ca. 1659-1671
Anthology containing three different works: a commentary to works of Tertullian; extracts and commentary on the Bible; and 24 poems and verses of Thomas Flatman. The second and third sections begin at the opposite end of the volume from the first. Folio 4r contains a table of contents to the works of Tertullian dealt with in the commentary, together with the subscription: "Edit. Lutetia. M.D.C.34. Sumptib[us] Mathurini Du Puis".
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Heading on Biblical excerpts and commentary: "Mr. Gibbon at Gregor. Nov. 26 -- 59" (f. 89v = reverse f. 3r).
- Title page of Flatman work: Miscellanies by Tho: Flatman. Ex interiori Templo Londini, sic imperantibus fatis. Nov. 9. 1661. 13o Caroli 2di. (f. 72v = reverse f. 20r).
- Appears to be 17th century in date (Zacour-Hirsch). Folio 3r has date "Nov. 24 -- 59" [probably 1659]. Biblical commentary section has date "Nov. 26 -- 59" [probably 1659] (f. 89v = reverse f. 3r). Many of the Flatman poems are dated; the dates range 1659-1671. All this suggests a date range of ca. 1659-1671, possibly later.
- Description from unidentified dealer's catalog pasted on front endleaf.
Extent91 leaves : 128 x 72 mm. bound to 135 x 80 mm
FoliationPaper, iii (modern paper) + 87 + iii (modern paper); [1-87]; f. 50-87 = reverse f. 1-40; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Folios 5r-33v (in Tertullian commentary) have contemporary pagination in ink, 1-58, upper outer corner of even-numbered pages.
Binding19th-century calf. Upper cover and back flyleaf completely detached. Cover wearing and crumbling at edges and hinges. Various stains. Many of the leaves are worn and fraying at the edges. On many leaves, text is written out to the edges and is hard to read. In some cases, trimming has obliterated text at the edges. Folio 52 is missing a piece that appears to have been cut out, but this does not seem to have affected the text.
- Former owners include: Frederick William Cosens (inscribed armorial bookplate, inside lower cover); J. Mitford, 1850 (possibly the Rev. John Mitford, inscription, second flyleaf); D. D. R. H. Groome (possibly the Rev. Robert Hindes Groome, inscription, second flyleaf).
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Table of contents
Inside front cover
1209_0001.tif (31.1 MB)
1209_0001_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
1209_0001_web.jpg (312.6 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
1209_0010.tif (31.1 MB)
1209_0010_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
1209_0010_web.jpg (235.8 KB)
Section: Table of contents, f. 2r
1209_0015.tif (31.1 MB)
1209_0015_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
1209_0015_web.jpg (282.4 KB)
Section: Commentary to works of Tertullian, f. 4v
1209_0147.tif (31.1 MB)
1209_0147_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
1209_0147_web.jpg (226.2 KB)
Section: Miscellanies, f. 70v
1209_0181.tif (31.1 MB)
1209_0181_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
1209_0181_web.jpg (303.5 KB)
Section: Extracts and commentary on the Bible, f. 87v
Inside back cover
1209_0188.tif (31.1 MB)
1209_0188_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
1209_0188_web.jpg (305.6 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside back cover