Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 291 Records of the Priorista of the city of Florence, 1282-1509
TitleRecords of the Priorista of the city of Florence, 1282-1509
- Florence (Italy)
Other related names
- Adimari, Lionardo di Paolo, former owner
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 291
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9915809023503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1475 and 1525?
Record of the priory, the most important governing body in Florence, covering the period from 1282 (when the priory was instituted) to 1509 when the manuscript breaks off. In the form of marginal notes the political, religious and commercial life of the city is recorded as well, in very great detail from about the middle of the 15th century to about 1500. Included are long passages on the career and death of Savonarola.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger; date from bookseller's notes (on file in the Library).
- Spine title: Priorista. Just beneath, the writing on the spine appears to read "T. II.", suggesting that this was originally the second volume of a set.
- The manuscript appears to have been compiled from archives or an earlier manuscript on the same subject about 1480; from that time forward the writing is much less regular, and the hue of the ink changes rapidly, indicating periodic additions. After July 1504 the original hand breaks off entirely and is supplanted by a more modern cursive, in which the final few pages are written with only occasional marginalia.
- Modern bookseller's catalog description pasted inside upper cover.
- Cover wearing and split at hinges and spine. Vellum pulling away from back cover board. Some wear and stains. A few tears. Some evidence of repairs.
- There is a leaf laid in just before the first folio containing text.
- Ownership inscription on f. [ii] recto: Questo libro e di Lionardo d Paolo Adimari. The Adimari were a great noble family of Florence who played a considerable part in the city's political life until the nobles were forbidden office. This same leaf contains a couple other inscriptions referring to the Adimari and a depiction of a shield or coat of arms.
Extent255 leaves : 293 x 217 mm. bound to 301 x 221 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (parchment) + 255 + i (parchment); [iii], 1-249, [iii]; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
Binding18th-century vellum-covered boards (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Formerly owned by Lionardo di Paolo Adimari (inscription, f. [ii] recto).
- Sold by Laurence Witten (New Haven, Conn.), 1958.
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 291: Records of the Priorista of the city of Florence, 1282-1509 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1391_0001.tif (62.6 MB)
1391_0001_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
1391_0001_web.jpg (294.6 KB)
Decoration: Seller's description, Inside front cover
Loose note 1, Side 1
1391_0007.tif (62.6 MB)
1391_0007_thumb.jpg (2.1 KB)
1391_0007_web.jpg (119.2 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
1391_0008.tif (62.6 MB)
1391_0008_thumb.jpg (2.1 KB)
1391_0008_web.jpg (110.4 KB)
1391_0042.tif (68.6 MB)
1391_0042_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
1391_0042_web.jpg (441.0 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 15r
1391_0223.tif (68.6 MB)
1391_0223_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
1391_0223_web.jpg (359.5 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 105v