Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 45 v.1 Anwār al-tanzīl wa-asrār al-taʼwīl. / أنوار التنزيل وأسرار التأويل
TitleAnwār al-tanzīl wa-asrār al-taʼwīl.
أنوار التنزيل وأسرار التأويل
- Bayḍāwī, ʻAbd Allāh ibn ʻUmar, -1286
بيضاوي، عبد الله بن عمر،
Other related names
- Isbahānī, Tāj al-Dīn Ḥasan, reader
اسبهاني، تاج الدين حسن.
- Camac, William, 1829-1900, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 45 v.1
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1550? and 1664
Commentary on the Qurʼān in two volumes, copied in the same hand. Marginal additions in the same and later hands. A table of contents was added to the front flyleaves in nastʻaliq by a later hand.
- Title from introduction (f. 2v).
- Waqf Masjid al-Aqṣá is written into both volumes of the manuscript in numerous places, but no official statement of donation is found anywhere in the copy. Three stamps are also present at the end of the second volume (f. 673r, 673v). Readers' notes, several signed by Tāj al-Dīn Ḥasan al-Isbahānī, are also present at the end of both volumes (f. 317v, 673r, 673v).
Extent2 volumes (317, 356 leaves) : 188 x 115 (126 x 70) mm bound to 118 x 115 mm
FoliationFoliated continuously across both volumes in Hindu-Arabic numerals in black ink (volume 1: f. 1-317; volume 2: f. 318-673), upper left recto, with catchwords on every verso, lower left; some numbers and catchwords were cut off when the text was rebound.
BindingBoth volumes bound in dark brownish-red leather with blind-stamped, gilded and painted central mandorla, two pendants on the vertical axis, and gold tooled frame. A flap was once present on Volume 1, but has now been lost and the front cover is loose. Volume 2 retains the flap and foredge cover, though it and the front cover are both loose. Each volume has a label written on the bottom edge: Volume 1: al-Awwal min al-Bayḍāwī; Volume 2: al-Thānī min al-Bayḍāwī. Inside covers are brown leather with gilt rulings around the edges.
Textblock border-ruled in gold and black; the first opening of the first volume has gold rules dividing the textblock into five sections with only the middle one used for text (f. 1v-2r) and the first page of the second volume has a gold floriated pattern above the textblock (f. 318v), though this may be a later addition. The text of the Qurʼān is in red with gold overlines. Each volume has gilt stamped floral patterns on the edges.
- Formerly owned by William Camac; bequeathed to the University of Pennsylvania in the Camac Memorial Collection. Accessioned in 1914.
- Early works
- Criticism, interpretation, etc
- Manuscripts, Arabic--16th century
- Manuscripts, Arabic--17th century
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 45 v.1: Anwār al-tanzīl wa-asrār al-taʼwīl. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, University of Pennsylvania Libraries has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 45 v.1: Anwār al-tanzīl wa-asrār al-taʼwīl.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — Anwār al-tanzīl wa-asrār al-taʼwīl, v. 1
Inside front cover
9375_0001.tif (53.3 MB)
9375_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
9375_0001_web.jpg (426.8 KB)
9375_0009.tif (53.3 MB)
9375_0009_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
9375_0009_web.jpg (304.1 KB)
Section: Anwār al-tanzīl wa-asrār al-taʼwīl, v. 1
Decoration: Gold ruled
9375_0010.tif (53.3 MB)
9375_0010_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
9375_0010_web.jpg (338.6 KB)
Decoration: Gold ruled
9375_0641.tif (53.3 MB)
9375_0641_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
9375_0641_web.jpg (370.4 KB)
Decoration: Reader's note