Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 464 Il caso celebre di Sciacca
TitleIl caso celebre di Sciacca
- Tommasi, Benedetto
Other related names
- North, Frederick, Earl of Guilford, 1766-1827, former owner
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 464
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486635
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Purports to be the first critical account, comparing documentary testimony and oral tradition, of the 1529 armed conspiracy of Sigismondo di Luna, Conte di Calzabillotta, and the majority of the nobility of Sciacca, Sicily, against Giacomo Perollo, barone di Pandolfina. While the Luna-Perollo feud was a hundred years old, the 1529 conflict seemed to have elements of anti-Spanish revolt, and Luna and his allies were punished accordingly. The last paragraph suggests that this account was largely taken from an earlier version by Padre F. Angelo Candela of the Fransciscan order.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch).
Extent48 leaves : 206 x 152 (183 x 127) mm. bound to 217 x 157 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (19th-century paper) + 48 + ii (19th-century paper); [1-48]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
- Bookplate of Guilford College; collection of Frederick North, Earl of Guilford.
- Formerly in the collection of Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 5756.
- Purchased, 1968.
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2491_0001.tif (76.7 MB)
2491_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
2491_0001_web.jpg (266.3 KB)