Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 518 Tractatus de formulis
TitleTractatus de formulis
Call numberMs. Codex 518
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580977
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageFrench and Latin
- circa 1766
First treatise in Latin consists of formulas for medical remedies including alteratives, purgatives, sudorifics, vermifuges, diuretics, emmenagogues, refrigerants, febrifuges, stomachics, emetics, emollients, astringents, etc. with an index to the formulas. Second treatise in French consists of alchemical operations and formulations, some of which also have medical applications.
- Ms. codex.
- Title Tractatus de formulis from f. 3r. Title of the second treatise, Operations de chymie, is on f. 87r (p. 169). Note that this second title is incorrect in Zacour-Hirsch, Supplement A, which has "Observations de chymie."
Extent130 leaves : 202 x 132 mm. bound to 210 x 140 mm
FoliationPaper, i (modern paper) + 130 + i (modern paper); 1-163, [164-260]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
Binding19th-century[?] quarter parchment.
- Acquired, 1968.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 518: Tractatus de formulis are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4269_0001.tif (57.4 MB)
4269_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
4269_0001_web.jpg (229.2 KB)