Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 837 Lecture notes on the Physica
TitleLecture notes on the Physica
Other related names
- Hirningerus, Joannes, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 837
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 3177979
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in Ingolstadt (Zacour-Hirsch) and finished July 8, 1609 (f. 256r).
Lecture notes on Aristotle's Physics.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch). Zacour-Hirsch identify the lecturer as an unnamed Jesuit scholar.
- Incipit: Prooemium Physicae. Antequam ad ipsum Ar[istote]lem explicandum accedamus ... (f. 1r).
- Explicit: Finiti feliciter hi octo Physicorum Ar[istote]lis libri 8 Julii hora pomeridiana circiter tertius. A[nn]o 1609. Finis libri octavi & ultimi Physicorum Ar[istote]lis (f. 260r).
Watermarkf. 3 bears a small crowned creature which also appears in Ms. Codex 836.
Extent261 leaves : 185 x 156 (154 x 106) mm. bound to 196 x 168 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (contemporary paper) + 261 + vi (contemporary paper); [xvii], 17-94, 96-101, 103-114, 114-119, 113-140, 142-203, 228-241, 212-219, 204-211, 220-227, 242-255, [i], contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto; [i, 1-260], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. The foliation shows that some signatures were bound out of order.
BindingContemporary vellum (Zacour-Hirsch). Label on spine reads "Libri Physicorum Aristotelis Quatuor," but all eight books are discussed in the text.
Some initials in headings decorated with flourishes; margins on outer and lower edges of pages with frequent marginalia.
- Former owners include: M. Joannis Hirningeri (autograph, inside upper cover); Carthusian monastery, Buxheim, (note, f. 1r).
- Formerly owned by the Counts of Waldbott-Basseheim (stamps of G.W.B.D., probably standing for Gräflich von Waldbott-Bassenheim'sche Domanialverwaltung, f. 1r), who inherited the Buxheim monastery library (monastery dissolved in 1803, its property including its library given to the Counts of Ostein) from the Count of Ostein in 1810.
- Sold by Karl Goldmann (Munich), 1952.
- Physics--Early works to 1800
- Lecture notes
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Front cover — Reused manuscript leaf with musical notation, Front cover
- Inside front cover — Owner note, Inside front cover
- fol. 1r — Owner note, f. 1r
- fol. 1r — Owner stamp, f. 1r
- Back cover — Reused manuscript leaf with musical notation, Back cover
- Spine — Reused manuscript leaf with musical notation, Spine
2703_0000.tif (64.9 MB)
2703_0000_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
2703_0000_web.jpg (423.3 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf with musical notation, Front cover
Inside front cover
2703_0001.tif (64.9 MB)
2703_0001_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
2703_0001_web.jpg (305.2 KB)
Decoration: Owner note, Inside front cover
2703_0008.tif (64.9 MB)
2703_0008_thumb.jpg (7.8 KB)
2703_0008_web.jpg (415.8 KB)
Decoration: Owner note, f. 1r
Decoration: Owner stamp, f. 1r
2703_0541.tif (64.9 MB)
2703_0541_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
2703_0541_web.jpg (420.4 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf with musical notation, Back cover
2703_0542.tif (64.9 MB)
2703_0542_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
2703_0542_web.jpg (204.2 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf with musical notation, Spine