Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 993 Poesies
- Hermilly, Vaquette d', 1705-1778
Call numberMs. Codex 993
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9937467853503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- circa 1780
Two "volumes" of poetry by the otherwise unidentified abbot of Cardonnoy and canon of Champeaux, separated by a discussion of and reference lists concerning medals from the Roman Empire, by "Mr. Vacquette." Among the poems of the first "volume" are ones dedicated to the Queen (Marie Antoinette), church dignitaries, Louis XVI, Voltaire, and Vaquette d'Hermilly, who may be the author of the work on medals. The codex as a whole is dedicated to the bishop of Autun, and the second "volume" of poetry includes a few dialogues in verse and concludes with copies of letters from 1779 and 1780 complimenting the poetry.
- Ms. codex.
- Title of first work from title page; title of second work from caption title (f. 41r).
Extent135 leaves : 195 x 75 mm. bound to 201 x 85 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 192 + i (contemporary paper); [1-192]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary morocco with gilt spine (Hirsch).
- Purchased, 1965.
- Medals, Ancient--Early works to 1800
- Medals, Greek--Early works to 1800
- Medals, Roman--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 993: Poesies are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
6097_0001.tif (35.5 MB)
6097_0001_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
6097_0001_web.jpg (307.1 KB)