Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 994 Lexicological notes
Other related names
- Ménage, Gilles, 1613-1692, dubious author
Call numberMs. Codex 994
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 3751433
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageFrench, with Latin and Greek quotations
- after 1678
One section of a larger collection of notes on word meanings and origins, especially in the areas of natural history and geography, with references to classical authors such as Pliny, Galen, Virgil, and Suetonius, often in Latin or Greek, and a smaller number of biblical references. The words are not in alphabetical order, but sometimes are grouped according to source.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger; Rudolf Hirsch used the title Notes et remarques lexicographiques based on the pencil notes inside the upper cover. The same notes report an attribution to Gilles Ménage. The date 1678 appears on page 2179.
Extent274 leaves : 214 x 158 mm. bound to 227 x 170 mm
FoliationPaper, 296 leaves; 1891-2439; contemporary pagination in ink, upper center, suggests this is a section of a larger work; [1-596]; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary parchment (Hirsch).
- Purchased, 1964.
- French language--Lexicology, Historical--Early works to 1800
- Language and languages--Etymology--Early works to 1800
- Etymological dictionaries
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2903_0001.tif (75.1 MB)
2903_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
2903_0001_web.jpg (304.2 KB)