Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 107 Viṣṇuyāgapaddhati / विष्णुयागपद्धति
- Anantadeva, 17th cent
Other related names
- Jagannāth Āpājī Pārkar Rānjhekar, scribe
- Nānā Sāheb, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 107
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958423413503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Small manuscript for consultation during the performance of rites and rituals. Manuscript is a guide book or manual for making offerings, gifts, oblations, and sacrifices to the Hindu deity Viṣṇu. Contains formulas for recitation.
- Title from title colophon (f. 146r); alternate title Viṣṇuyāgaprayoga from back title page (f. 147v).
- Written in 5 lines per leaf.
- 147 leaves foliated 1-147, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1904 bhādrapadavadya 5 somavāra (Wednesday, 15 September 1847) (f. 146r).
- Scribe is Jagannāth Āpājī Pārkar Rānjhekar who lived in Vāraṇasī (f. 146v).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; a couple of significant syllables highlighted in red.
- Folios 97-147 are written on blue, machine made European paper.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (147 leaves) : 9 x 18 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīmadāpadevasutā 'naṃtadevaviduṣākṛte viṣṇuyāgapaddhatiḥ samāptaḥ saṃvat 1904 bhādrapadavadya 5 somavāraśrīgopālakṛṣṇārpaṇam astu // hastākṣara līkhiṃ pustaka jagaṃnnāth āpājī pārakar rāṃjhekar mukām śrīkṣetrakāsī āsī saṃgama // he pustaka nānāsāheb yācī āse // (f. 146r-146v).
- Manuscript was commissioned by Nānā Sāheb, possibly the same figure who later became a leader in the Indian rebellion against the British in 1857 A.D.
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Recitations--Religious aspects
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 107: Viṣṇuyāgapaddhati are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.