Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1134 Vākyavṛtti / वाक्यवृत्ति
TitleVākyavṛtti / वाक्यवृत्ति
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1134
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963242923503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript was used for contemplation and study and is a short Hindu philosophical treatise and commentary on the Great saying (mahāvākya), particularly the phrase, You are that (tat tvam asi), often functioning as a mantra and derived from late Vedic upaniṣads. The work is written from the perspective of the Advaita (non-dualism) Vedanta school of philosophy.
- Title from colophon (f. 8v).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 8 leaves foliated 1-8, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; vertical margins marked with double black line.
Extent1 item (8 leaves) : 10 x 14 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīśaṃkarācāryviracitaṃ samāpta[ḥ] // śrīśaṃkarārpaṇam astu // (f. 8v).
- Hindu mantras
- Indian philosophy
- Hindu philosophy
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1134: Vākyavṛtti are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.