Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 115 Janmāṣṭamīvrata / जन्माष्टमीव्रत
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 115
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958437763503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript serves as a manual for the performance of observances (vratas), especially fasting in honor of the Hindu deity Kṛṣṇa; includes the worship of various deities such as the elephant-headed Gaṇeśa, the recitation of mantras to various deities such as Varuṇa, and the description of maṇḍalas (cosmic diagrams). These performances serve to remove sickness and give overall well-being and personal benefits.
- Title from incipit (f. 1v).
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 18 leaves foliated 1-18, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (18 leaves) : 11 x 24 cm
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Fasting--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mantras
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 115: Janmāṣṭamīvrata are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.