Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1160 Śikṣopaniṣad / शिक्षोपनिषद्
TitleŚikṣopaniṣad / शिक्षोपनिषद्
Other related names
- Bhānu, scribe
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1160
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963564023503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation and is a late Vedic philosophical treatise on the attainment of divine knowledge and the importance and significance of Vedic mantras and words, their recitation, and how they lead to the realization of higher truths, such as the brahman, the ultimate principle in the universe. This text especially focuses on pronunciation. Work contains an unidentified commentary, possibly by Damodāra.
- Title from colophon (f. 7r).
- Written in 11 lines per leaf.
- 7 leaves foliated 1-7, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1917 and śaka 1782 (1860) based on Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1169 (f. 100r), written by the same scribe.
- Scribe is Bhānu (Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1165, f. 4r).
- Manuscript written by the same scribe as Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1161, Item 1164, Item 1165, Item 1166, Item 1167, Item 1168, Item 1169, and Item 1172.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
Extent1 item (7 leaves) : 13 x 35 cm
ColophonColophon: iti [śi]kṣopaniṣatsamāptaṃ (f. 7r).
- Hindu mantras
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1160: Śikṣopaniṣad are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.