Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1161 Aitareyopaniṣad. / ऐतरेयोपनिषद्
TitleAitareyopaniṣad. / ऐतरेयोपनिषद्
Other related names
- Bhānu, scribe
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1161
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963566583503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation, and is a late Vedic philosophical treatise appended to the Ṛgveda; as a Upaniṣad, it contains speculations about the nature of being, the self, birth, and breath; also early myths. Commentary by Dāmodara running parallel above and below the root text.
- Title from colophon (f. 7r).
- Written in 8-12 lines per leaf.
- 7 leaves foliated 1-7, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1917 and śaka 1782 (1860) based on Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1169 (f. 100r), written by the same scribe.
- Scribe is Bhānu (Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1165, f. 4r).
- Manuscript is written by the same scribe as Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1160, Item 1164, Item 1165, Item 1166, Item 1167, Item 1168, Item 1169, and Item 1172.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
Extent1 item (7 leaves) : 13 x 35 cm
ColophonColophon: iti aitareyopaniṣadātmadkaḥ samāptaḥ (f. 7r).
- Hindu mythology
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1161: Aitareyopaniṣad. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.