Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1216 Aitareyopaniṣad / ऐतरेयोपनिषद्
TitleAitareyopaniṣad / ऐतरेयोपनिषद्
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1216
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963597193503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation, and is a late Vedic philosophical treatise appended to the Ṛgveda; as a Upaniṣad, it contains speculations about the nature of being, the self, birth, and breath; also early myths. Manuscript ends with part of the Nārāyaṇopaniṣad.
- Title from colophon (f. 7r); title of partial second work Nārāyaṇopaniṣad from final title page (f. 7v).
- Written in 7 lines per leaf.
- 7 leaves foliated 1-7, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; some significant phrases highlighted in red; metrical accents in red throughout.
Extent1 item (7 leaves) : 10 x 24 cm
ColophonColophon: iti ṛgvede āśvalāyanīśākhāyāṃ aitareyopaniṣatsamāptam // (f. 7r).
- Hindu mythology
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1216: Aitareyopaniṣad are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.