Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1219 Kaṭhopaniṣad / कठोपनिषद्
TitleKaṭhopaniṣad / कठोपनिषद्
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1219
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963597783503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study and recitation, and is a Hindu or late Vedic philosophical treatise presented as a dialogue between a father Vājraśrava, and his son Niciketas; the work addresses early concepts of the Self (ātman), as well as addressing and offering interpretation of early social and ritual action. An Advaita Vedānta commentary, Damodāra's Kāṭhopaniṣadvyākhyā, runs above and below the root text.
- Title from end title page (f. 12v).
- Written in 7-9 lines per leaf.
- 12 leaves foliated 1-12, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
Extent1 item (12 leaves) : 10 x 20 cm
ColophonColophon: iti ātharvaṇīyeṣupaniṣasukaṭhavakṣī upaniṣasamāpta // (f. 12r).
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1219: Kaṭhopaniṣad are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.