Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1223 Bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad. / बृहदारण्यकोपनिषद्
TitleBṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad. / बृहदारण्यकोपनिषद्
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1223
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963624663503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Called the Great forest upaniṣad, it is the first section (of six) of one of the oldest of the upaniṣad genre and is a sub-section of the Śatapatha brāhmaṇa, a Vedic ritual manual and hymns for performing public śrauta rituals. Contains the famous verse beginning "asato mā sad gamaya" ("lead me from non-reality to reality") and is an exegesis of ritual knowledge; speculates on the nature of the Self and meant to supplement the ritual learning. Attributed to the legendary sage Yājñavalkya.
- Title from title abbreviations in margin.
- Written in 10-12 lines per leaf.
- 12 leaves foliated 1-12, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; paper is blue.
Extent1 item (12 leaves) : 10 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti ṣa[?]brāhmaṇaṃ // tṛtīyo 'dhyāyāyāṃ prathamo 'dhyāyaḥ (f. 12v).
- Self (Philosophy)
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1223: Bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.