Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1225 Śikṣābrahmavidābhṛgu / शिक्षाब्रह्मविदाभृगु
TitleŚikṣābrahmavidābhṛgu / शिक्षाब्रह्मविदाभृगु
Other related names
- Gopālapantagokhala, scribe
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1225
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963624743503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is used for contemplation, study, and recitation and is a late Vedic philosophical treatise that expounds upon the nature of existence and the importance and significance of Vedic mantras, their recitation, and how they lead one to the realization of higher truths, especially to the ultimate, highest status of Being in the universe (brahman). Work includes many mantras (words of phrases of power) dedicated to Viṣṇu such as Oṃ Hari.
- Scribe is Gopālapantagokhala (f. 11r).
- Title from final title page (f. 11v).
- Written in 10-11 lines per leaf.
- 11 leaves foliated 1-11, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated śaka 1735 (1812) (f. 11r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; some additions in red; metrical accents in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (11 leaves) : 11 x 21 cm
- Hindu philosophy
- Philosophy, Indic
- Self (Philosophy)
- Hindu mantras
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1225: Śikṣābrahmavidābhṛgu are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.