Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1276 Darśapūrṇamāsaprāyaścitta / दर्शपूर्णमासप्रायश्चित्त
Other related names
- Sadāśiva (Son of Kāśinātha), associated name
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1276
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9963758203503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript employed as a manual for priests in a private or public setting for consultation during rites and ceremonies performed during full and new moon sacrifices. Text outlines procedures (religious law) for the proper performance of atonement rites and may be linked to the performance of rites at the beginning of each cycle (season) of four months (cāturmāsya) of the year, which include purification and ancestor worship.
- Title from title page (f. 1r); alternate title Prāyaṣcittavidhi from colophon (f. 27v).
- Written in 10 lines per leaf.
- 27 leaves foliated 1-27, upper left and lower right verso.
- Manuscript is part of a group of manuscripts written by or under the direction of Sadāśiva, along with Ms. Coll. 390, Item 1279, Item 1280, Item 1281, Item 1282, Item 1283, Item 1284, Item 1285, Item 1286, Item 1287, Item 1288, Item 1289, Item 1292, Item 1293, Item 1294, Item 1295, Item 1296, Item 1297, Item 1298, Item 1299, and Item 1300. Although no scribe is named, the manuscript is written on the same paper, in the same style, and on the same general subject (performing Vedic rites and ceremonies) as the other manuscripts in the group.
- Written between 1805 and 1814, based on dates from other manuscripts written by or under the direction of Sadāśiva.
- Mistakes blacked out; some minor corrections and additions in margins; vertical margins marked with double black line.
Extent1 item (27 leaves) : 12 x 27 cm
ColophonColophon: prāyaṣcittavidhiḥ samāptaḥ // (f. 27v).
- Purity, Ritual--Hinduism
- Hindu law
- Ancestor worship--Hinduism
- Seasons--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1276: Darśapūrṇamāsaprāyaścitta are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.