Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1403 Vaṭasāvitrīvratodyāpana / वटसावित्रीव्रतोद्यापन
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1403
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9964155043503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manual with associated rules and laws (dharma) for women to honor their husbands by performing rites and observances (vrata) that involve the wrapping of a banyan or vaṭa tree (Ficus benghalensis) at the end of a larger observance and fast and by honoring the Vedic deity Sāvitrī as a form of the Great Goddess (Devi).
- Title from incipit (f. 1r).
- Written in 9-10 lines per leaf.
- 3 segments foliated 1-3, upper left and lower right verso; manuscript is one leaf folded into three segments with the text running sequentially throughout the recto and then sequentially on the verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Watermark with the initials E M A in a V shape.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 33 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti sāvitrīvratodyāpanasamāptaḥ (f. 3v).
- Sāvitrī (Hindu deity)
- Hindu women
- Banyan tree--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Tree worship--India
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1403: Vaṭasāvitrīvratodyāpana are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.