Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1459 Aduḥkhanavamīvratakathā / अदुःखनवमीव्रतकथा
Other related names
- Māhādevabhaṭṭa, scribe
- Gaṇeśabhaṭṭa, scribe
- Māhādevabhaṭṭa, former owner
- Gaṇeśabhaṭṭa, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1459
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958375013503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript for public or private use for consultation, recitation, and celebration of the ninth day in the first fortnight of the month of Bhādrapada (August/September) and related mythology. Especially auspicious for women who worship (pūjā) and perform observances (vratas) to the great Goddess (devī) in the form of Gaurī (another name for Pārvatī) in order to eschew evil in the following year. Final two folios appear to be a scribal addition, in two separate hands, of former owners of the manuscripts.
- Title from incipit (f. 1r).
- Written in 6-13 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated 1-4, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; horizontal red line for guidance on one folio (f. 3) written by second scribe.
- Written on European paper with watermarks; the distinct watermark "Francesco" is in the center of folio 3. The first part is written by the same scribe and uses the same paper as are also found for Item 1447, Item 1453, Item 1454, Item 1455, and Item 1456, and may have originally been from the same manuscript as one or more of these items. Folio 3 is in a second hand and Folio 4 in a third hand. Both secondary scribes (the firstly likely the son of the third scribe) and both are named in the colophon.
- Scribes are Māhādevabhaṭṭa and Gaṇeśabhaṭṭa (f. 4v).
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 11 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīskaṃdapurāṇe vyāsarṣisaṃvade aduḥkhanamīve vratakathāsaṃpūrṇā // idaṃ pustakaṃ māhādevagaṇeśabhaṭṭābhyāṃ likhitaṃ ity ubhayor api svatvam atra // (f. 4v).
- Formerly owned by Māhādevabhaṭṭa and Gaṇeśabhaṭṭa (f. 4v).
- Parvati (Hindu deity)
- Hindu goddesses
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Hindu mythology
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1459: Aduḥkhanavamīvratakathā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.