Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1476 Ghaṇṭāpatha. / घण्टापथ
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1476
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9964158453503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for contemplation and study and is part of a commentary on Bhāravi's poem Kirātārjunīya, a development and reinterpretation of a Hindu mythic story from the Mahābhārata about an encounter between the god Śiva and the epic hero Arjuna in which Śiva appears as a wild mountain man (Kirāta). Manuscript contains commentary on the fifteenth and part of the sixteenth chapter (up to verse 60) taken from the larger work of eighteen chapters. This part deals with the battle between Śiva and Arjuna.
- Title from internal colophon (f. 12r).
- Written in 9-10 lines per leaf.
- 21 leaves foliated 1-21, upper left verso.
- Internal colophon: iti śrīmahopādhyāya kolacalamallināthasuraviracitāyāṃ kirātārjunīyavyākhyāyyaṃ ghaṃṭāpathasamākhyāyā paṃcadaśaḥ sargaḥ // 15 // (f. 12r).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
Extent1 item (21 leaves) : 10 x 26 cm
- Hindu mythology
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Arjuna (Hindu mythology)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1476: Ghaṇṭāpatha. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.