Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1492 Raghuvaṃśa. / रघुवंश
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1492
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9964459453503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for recitation or contemplation and is the twelfth section (sarga) of nineteen. Draws heavily from Hindu mythology and pantheons as well as assumes some knowledge of the storyline of the Rāmāyaṇa, its main characters, and gives a genealogical account of Rāma's dynastic background and lineage. Work is full of rich, poetic imagery of flora and fauna and references to courtly life and Hindu dharma and focuses, in particular, on the death of the demon Rāvaṇa.
- Title from title page (f. 13v).
- Written in 6-9 lines per leaf.
- 13 leaves foliated 1-13, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
Extent1 item (13 leaves) : 10 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti raghuvaṃśe mahākāvye kālitadāsakṛte rāvaṇavadhonāmadvādaśasargaḥ // (f. 13r).
- Hindu mythology
- Rāvaṇa (Hindu mythology)
- Rāma (Hindu deity)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1492: Raghuvaṃśa. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.