Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1564 Gītagovinda / गीतगोविन्द
- Jayadeva, active 12th century
- Śaṅkaramiśra, active 15th century
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1564
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9967848093503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for recitation and contemplation and is a poetic exploration of the amorous relationship between the Hindu deities Kṛṣṇa and Rādhā. Kṛṣṇa is presented not as an avatar of Viṣṇu, but as the essence of the universe itself. First literary work to fully develop the figure of Rādhā, the cow herdess, and her relationship with Kṛṣṇa. Poem is often approached as a devotional text by modern Vaiṣṇavas. Contains a commentary, the Rasamañjarī by Śaṅkaramiśra, running parallel above and below the root text.
- Title from colophon (f. 67r).
- Written in 8-14 lines per leaf.
- 67 leaves foliated 1-67, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1815 (1758) (f. 67r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with black line.
Extent1 item (67 leaves) : 13 x 33 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīgīItagoviṃde syādhīnabhartṛkāvarṇane suprītapītāṃ parotāmadvādaśaḥ sargaḥ samāptaḥ // (f. 67r).
- Rādhā (Hindu deity)--Poetry--Early works to 1800
- Love poetry, Indic--Early works to 1800
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit--Early works to 1800
- Vaishnavism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1564: Gītagovinda are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.