Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1587 Saṃkaṣṭacaturthī / संकष्टचतुर्थी
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1587
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957025413503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Elephant-headed Hindu deity Gaṇeśa gives instructions on how to perform this vow dedicated to honoring him. Text presented as a discourse between Gaṇeśa and his mother, the goddess Pārvatī. The performance is to begin on the 4th day in the dark half of the month of Śravaṇa (July-August) and includes fasting, mantras for performing the 16 rites of homage, among other rites. Identifies itself as a part of the Smṛtikaustubha section of the Brahmāṇḍapurāṇa.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 9 leaves foliated 1-9, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (9 leaves) : 11 x 20 cm
ColophonColophon: iti brahmāṃḍapurāṇe smṛtikaustubhe saṃkaṣṭacaturthīvratakathāsamāptā // (f. 9r).
- Gaṇeśa (Hindu deity)
- Hindu goddesses
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu mantras
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Fasting--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1587: Saṃkaṣṭacaturthī are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.