Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 164 Vaiśvadaivikaśrāddhavidhi / वैश्वदैविकश्राद्धविधि
Other related names
- Lohanī, Viṣṇudatta, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 164
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958608783503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a manual for use by priests or householders performing different kinds of rites. The first is called Vaiśvadevavidhi and consists of offerings to various Hindu deities; the second is called Nityaśraddhavidhi and consists of offerings to one's ancestors. Text contains a collection of various mantras to various deities to be recited during the various rites. There is a diagram with 23 numbered mantras written in red ink (f. 3v).
- Title from incipit (f. 1r); alternate title Śrāddhavidhi from colophon (f. 6r).
- Written in 7-8 lines per leaf.
- 6 leaves foliated 1-6, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (6 leaves) : 10 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti nityaśrāddhaṃ sampūrṇam / vedoktaśāntikādhyā / tye 1yaṃ paṭhet (f. 6r).
- Viṣṇudatta Lohanī (f. 6v).
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Ancestor worship--Hinduism
- Hindu mantras
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 164: Vaiśvadaivikaśrāddhavidhi are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 3v-4r — diagram [f. 3v]
3586_0003.tif (66.0 MB)
3586_0003_thumb.jpg (11.1 KB)
3586_0003_web.jpg (708.4 KB)
Decoration: diagram [f. 3v]