Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1655 Tithinirṇayasindhu / तिथिनिर्णयसिन्धु
Other related names
- Govinda (Son of Śrīdhara), scribe
- Godajośī Dhātoṇḍa, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1655
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9968148903503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Treatise on Hindu law (dharma) regarding Hindu astronomy (jyotiṣa) and mathematics, examining and considering the nature of a day (tithi) and how it should be calculated within broader cosmological systems, and rites and ceremonies.
- Title from colophon (f. 13r); alternate title Tithinirṇaya from title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 8-10 lines per leaf.
- 14 leaves foliated 1-13, [i], upper left and lower right verso.
- Scribe is Govinda, son of Śrīdhara (f. 13r).
- Dated saṃvat 1661 (1604) (f. 13r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double red line.
Extent1 item (14 leaves) : 11 x 21 cm
ColophonColophon: iti tithinirṇayasiṃdhuḥ samāptim agamat // (f. 13r).
- Formerly owned by Godajośī Dhātoṇḍa (f. 13r). The name Dhātoṇḍa may suggest that the manuscript comes from a village in the Punjab region of India with that name or that the former owner originally comes from the district. There is also a reference to Kāśī (Varāṇasī) in the post-colophon text (f. 13r), possibly suggesting that the owner, originally from the Punjab, had settled in Varāṇasī when the manuscript was written.
- Dharma--Early works to 1800
- Hindu law--Early works to 1800
- Rites and ceremonies--India--Early works to 1800
- Hindu astrology--Early works to 1800
- Hindu astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Mathematics--India--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--17th century
- Manuscripts--India--17th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1655: Tithinirṇayasindhu are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
fol. 13v-Blank leaf 1 recto
2862_0013.tif (75.6 MB)
2862_0013_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
2862_0013_web.jpg (308.2 KB)
Blank leaf 1 verso
2862_0014.tif (39.6 MB)
2862_0014_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
2862_0014_web.jpg (303.4 KB)