Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 171 Dānavidhi / दानविधि
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 171
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958617303503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a compendium or manual for use by Hindus wishing to give different kinds of gifts (dāna) and quotes passages from various purāṇic works, especially the Skandapurāṇa, but also selections from the Liṅgapurāṇa, Bhaviṣyapurāṇa, Matsyapurāṇa, and Kūrmapurāṇa, as well as a selection from the Mahābhārata. The manuscript gives the rules (religious law) governing such gifts as the gift of a wife, "gifts" to the recently deceased, gift of a cow, and other gifts. Text also includes a section on mantras for use in worship (pūjā).
- Title supplied by cataloger; alternate title Dāsīdānavidhi supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 8-10 lines per leaf.
- 16 leaves foliated 1-16, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (16 leaves) : 10 x 23 cm
ColophonColophon: iti strīyadāsīdānaṃ // (f. 16v).
- Cows--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Gifts--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Married women--India
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Hindu law
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 171: Dānavidhi are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.