Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1728 Mahābhāṣya / महाभाष्य
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1728
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9968488843503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is divided into a root text, the Mahābhāṣya (Great commentary), in the center of each folio and a secondary text, the Bhāṣyapradīpa, running parallel above and below it. The root text, attributed to Patañjali, is a grammatical commentary and philosophical treatise on the work of Pāṇini, while the secondary text is a grammatical and philosophical super-commentary on the former by Kaiyaṭa. Especially explores the relationship of words and meaning.
- Title from colophon (f. 71v); title of super-commentary Bhāṣyapradīpa from secondary colophon (f. 71v).
- Written in 8-16 lines per leaf.
- 71 leaves foliated 1-71, upper left and lower right verso.
- Colophon (root text): iti śrīmadbhagavatpataṃjaliviracite vyākaraṇamahābhāṣye tṛtīyasyādhyāyasya prathame pāde ṣaṣṭamārhikaṃ samāptaṃ (f. 71v).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
Extent1 item (71 leaves) : 16 x 35 cm
ColophonColophon (root text): iti śrīmadbhagavatpataṃjaliviracite vyākaraṇamahābhāṣye tṛtīyasyādhyāyasya prathame pāde ṣaṣṭamārhikaṃ samāptaṃ (f. 71v).
- Sanskrit language--Grammar
- Hindu philosophy
- Meaning (Philosophy)--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1728: Mahābhāṣya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.