Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 174 Maraṇavidhi / मरणविधि
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 174
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958617363503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a kind of manual or handbook to be used by priests, which outlines the rules and regulations (religious law) for a variety of different rites connected with death and dying, including the death of a pregnant woman and rites prescribed for a widow wishing to burn herself alive on a funeral pyre (sahagamanavidhi).
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 13-15 lines per leaf.
- 3 leaves foliated 1-3, upper left verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Formerly housed with item 173 and item 175.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (3 leaves) : 13 x 27 cm
ColophonColophon: iti garbhiṇayādi maraṇavidhi (f. 3v).
- Hindu women
- Hindu funeral rites and ceremonies
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Widows (Hindu law)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 174: Maraṇavidhi are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.