Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 175 Vedoktapitṛsūkta / वेदोक्तपितृसूक्त
Other related names
- Candravallabha, dedicatee
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 175
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958617343503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a collection or compendium of Vedic hymns dedicate to ancestors, to be employed during Hindu funeral services. Manuscript was likely used in a funeral rite.
- Title from colophon (f. 31r).
- Written in 7-10 lines per leaf.
- 31 leaves foliated 1-31, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1863 and śaka 1728 (1806) (f. 31r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins in red and black; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Formerly housed with item 173 and item 174.
- Bound on top horizontal.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (31 leaves) : 11 x 27 cm
ColophonColophon: iti vedoktaṃ pitṛ sūktam // (f. 31r).
- Written for the abolution ceremony (udaka) of Candravallabha (the dedicatee), likely at his funeral (f. 31r).
- Hindu funeral rites and ceremonies
- Ancestor worship--Hinduism
- Vedic literature
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 175: Vedoktapitṛsūkta are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.