Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 183 Śrāddhavidhi / श्राद्धविधि
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 183
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958644503503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a kind of manual or guidebook outlining rules and regulations and is meant for consultation by a priest or senior family member during the performance of funeral rites and ceremonies as well as veneration of one's ancestors. Text is dedicated to various Hindu deities, especially to Viṣṇu and the ancestors who have obtained Viṣṇu's heaven. A list of texts related to śrāddha rites and/or related pilgrimage sites (tīrthas) appears in two columns on the final folio (f. 4v) and refers to itself as Śrāddhakrama in its colophon.
- Title from colophon (f. 4r); second title from secondary colophon (f. 4v).
- Written in 11-12 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated 1-4, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 12 x 27 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrāddhavidhiḥ (f. 4r).
- Hindu funeral rites and ceremonies
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu law
- Ancestor worship--Hinduism
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--17th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--17th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 183: Śrāddhavidhi are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.