Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1857 Bṛhajjātaka. / बृहज्जातक
- Varāhamihira, 505-587
- Bhaṭṭotpala, active 10th century
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 1857
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9969137833503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a Hindu astrological manual and treatise for understanding the significance of a person's birth and divining what their future. It contains the first chapter (adhyāya) and part of the second, up to verse 22 of that work. There is a commentary by Bhaṭṭotpala (also known as Utpala), the Bṛhajjātakavṛtti, running parallel, above and below the root text. Contains some tables regarding planetary movements and more near the end of the manuscript (f. 18v-19r); and contains a second astrological work the Cintāpraśna at the end of the manuscript (f. 19v).
- Title from title abbreviations in margins.
- Written in 5-18 lines per leaf.
- 19 leaves foliated 1-17, [18-19], upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
Extent1 item (19 leaves) : 12 x 26 cm
- Hindu astrology
- Hindu astronomy
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Tables (documents)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 1857: Bṛhajjātaka. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
- fol. 18v-19r — Tables, f. 18v and f. 19r
2999_0018.tif (85.3 MB)
2999_0018_thumb.jpg (7.2 KB)
2999_0018_web.jpg (438.6 KB)
Section: Tables, f. 18v and f. 19r