Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2027 Padapāṭha. / पदपाठ
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2027
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9970677773503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript using the padapāṭha method of recitation, which presents the first four chapters of one version of the hymns of the Ṛgveda broken into individual words and without regard for saṃdhi rules that typically connect Sanskrit words. The hymns follow the order of chapters 1, 20, 33, and 47 of other editions of the text. The hymns are dedicated to Vedic gods such as Agni, Indra, and the Aśvin twins. The work also includes an unidentified commentary before each section of the Ṛgveda.
- Title from title abbreviations in margins; alternate title Rg̣vedapadapāṭha supplied by cataloger.
- Written in 7-9 lines per leaf.
- 69 leaves foliated 1-69, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins in black and red; metrical accents in red; some vertical margins marked with triple red line; some folios treated with yellow turmeric powder.
Extent1 item (69 leaves) : 11 x 23 cm
ColophonColophon: iti caturtho 'dhyāyaḥ // padasaṃkhyā // 2575 // (f. 69).
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Indra (Hindu deity)
- Agni (Hindu deity)
- Aśvins (Hindu deities)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2027: Padapāṭha. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.