Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2055 Śikṣā / शिक्षा
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2055
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9970821523503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript is a short treatise on the grammatical structure of Vedic hymns and is considered part of Vedic supplementary literature, the Vedāṅga. Manuscript begins with the fourth chapter of Pāṇini's complete work but likely represents a particular short recension, reconfiguration, or selection of the larger work. A short second supplementary work on astrology called the Vedāṅgajyotiṣa (also called Jyotiṣavedāṅga) is found at the end of the manuscript (f. 7r-10r).
- Title from title page (f. 1r); alternate title Vedāṃgaśikṣā from colophon (f. 7r).
- Written in 8 lines per leaf.
- 10 leaves foliated 1-10, upper left and lower right verso.
- Internal colophon: iti vedāṃgaśikṣāsamāptaḥ // (f. 7r).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; borders on cover marked with double red line; vertical margins marked with double black line. Manuscript is treated with yellow turmeric powder and metallic powder to protect it from insect damage.
Extent1 item (10 leaves) : 11 x 23 cm
- Sanskrit language--Grammar
- Hindu astrology
- Hindu astronomy
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2055: Śikṣā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.