Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2204 Gaṅgālaharī / गङ्गालहरी
- Jagannātha Paṇḍitarāja
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2204
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9972099733503681
- http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/d/medren/7209973 Information about this record
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript used for private or public recitation, prayer and worship (pūjā) in praise of the Hindu goddess Gaṅgā known also as the river Ganges, sacred to the Hindu religion.
- Title from end title page (f. 12v).
- Written in 7-8 lines per leaf.
- 12 leaves foliated 1-12, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated incoherently. The number 1783 is written (f. 12r) without either saṃvat or śaka. Saṃvat would render the date 1726 A.D. whereas śaka would render it 1861. The date of 1726 A.D. would be most likely for this manuscript; however, there is also a reference to the month Śrīmukha Saṃvatsara year, which could correspond to 1753, 1813, or 1873 A.D., none of which corresponds to the hypothetical saṃvat or śaka date.
- Mistakes covered over in white or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double black line.
Extent1 item (12 leaves) : 9 x 18 cm
- Gaṅgā (Hindu deity)
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Hindu hymns, Sanskrit
- Rivers--Religious aspects--Hinduism
- Prayers (documents)
- Hymns (documents)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2204: Gaṅgālaharī are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.