Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2214 Mallārikavacastotra / मल्लारिकवचस्तोत्र
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2214
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957390703503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Subsection of the Mallārimāhātma from the Kṣetrakhaṇḍa of the Brahmāṇḍapurāṇa, praising the Hindu deity Śiva, especially in his terrible manifestation of Mārtaṇḍa Bhairava after his defeat of the demon Malla. Śiva takes the name of Mallāri or Enemy of Malla. Various kinds of gifts from Śiva are bestowed on his devotees are described, especially the birth of sons, as well as the prescription of Hindu mantras and other kinds of worship (pūjā) and praises the pilgrimage site associated with the location of the mythological account. Presented as a conversation between the deities Śiva and Pārvatī.
- Title from colophon (f. 4r).
- Written in 7-8 lines per leaf.
- 4 leaves foliated 1-4, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (4 leaves) : 12 x 19 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrībrahmāṇḍapurāṇe kṣetrakhaṃḍe mallārimāhātme mallārikavacastotra saṃpūrṇaṃ śrīmārttaṃḍabhairavārpaṇam astu cha cha (f. 4r).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Bhairava (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mantras
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Hindu pilgrims and pilgrimages--India
- Hindu mythology
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2214: Mallārikavacastotra are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.