Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2240 Śivasahasranāmāvalī / शिवसहस्रनामावली
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2240
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957390783503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Series (āvali) of 101 names praising the Hindu deity Śiva, to be used in private or public devotion and worship (pūjā). Each name is preceded by the mantra om̐. Names are extracted from the last section (uttarabhāga) of the Padmapurāṇa, which is said to contain one thousand (sahasra) names of Śiva and said to be in the form of a dialogue between the deity Kṛṣṇa and the legendary figure Mārkaṇḍeya (f. 31r).
- Title from colophon (f. 31r); alternate title Śivasahasranāma from front title page (f. 1r).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 31 leaves foliated 1-31, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (30 leaves) : 12 x 20 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrīpadmapurāṇe paṃcapaṃcāśatsahasnikāyāṃ saṃhitāyāṃ uttarabhāge bilvakeśvaramāhātmye śrīIkṛṣṇamārkaṃḍeyasaṃvāde dasārākhyasahasranāmāvalisamāptaṃ // 1 // (f. 31r).
- Siva (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mantras
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Mārkaṇḍeya (Hindu mythology)
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2240: Śivasahasranāmāvalī are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.