Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2272 Anantapūjā / अनन्तपूजा
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2272
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957972713503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Manuscript for use in worship (pūjā) of images of Viṣṇu in the form of Ananta, prescribing the bathing of the image along with other ritual actions. Text also contains a long series of mantras employed for honoring and praising the deity in his many different forms, especially his avatāras such as Narasiṃha, Vāmana, Kṛṣṇa, and others. The end title page (f. 15v) identifies the text as a vrata (observance); this text is likely meant to serve as worship section of that broader set of rites and rituals.
- Title from colophon (f. 15r); alternate title Anantavrata from end title page (f. 15v).
- Written in 7-9 lines per leaf.
- 15 leaves foliated 1-15, upper left and lower right verso.
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins;vertical margins marked with double red line on some folios (f. 12-15).
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (15 leaves) : 11 x 25 cm
ColophonColophon: iti anaṃtapūjāsamāptāḥ // anaṃtaḥ priyatāṃ // śrīrastu śubhaṃ bhavatu // cha cha cha cha (f. 15r).
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Idols and images--Worship
- Idols and images--India
- Vaishnava temples
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Rites and ceremonies--India
- Hindu mantras
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2272: Anantapūjā are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.