Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2291 Arundhatyāvrata / अरुन्धत्याव्रत
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2291
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957462043503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text derived from the Daśamāsavrata, a subsection of the Brahmāṇḍapurāṇa. Text outlines vows dedicated to Arundhatī, a Hindu goddess and one of the seven stars in Ursa Major constellation aligned with a tradition of seven legendary sages in Vedic and later Hindu mythology. Arundhatī is considered the wife of the sage Vasiṣṭha. Procedures and benefits related to the performance of the vows, especially to be performed by married women who hold the love of Vasiṣṭha for his wife as a model of devotion, are outlined in the text.
- Title from colophon (f. 8v).
- Written in 9 lines per leaf.
- 8 leaves foliated 1-8, upper left and lower right verso.
- Date of manuscript based on dated manuscripts written by the same scribe (Item 2277 and Item 2292).
- Mistakes blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins. Written by same scribe as Item 2275, Item 2276, Item 2277, Item 2281, Item 2282, Item 2285, Item 2286, Item 2287, Item 2288, Item 2289, Item 2290, Item 2292, and Item 2293.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (8 leaves) : 13 x 26 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrībrahmāṃḍapurāṇe dvādaśamāsavrata aruṃdhatmābrata samāptam // śubhaṃ bhūyāt // (f. 8v).
- Hindu mythology
- Hindu goddesses
- Hindu women
- Hindu astrology
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--18th century
- Manuscripts--India--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2291: Arundhatyāvrata are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.