Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2358 Bṛhannāradīyapurāṇa / बृहन्नारदीयपुराण
Call numberMs. Coll. 390 Item 2358
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957555693503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Text dedicated to the Hindu deity Viṣṇu, especially in his manifestation as Kṛṣṇa. Text opens with a praise to Rādhā's Forest (Vṛndāvana), a reference to the forest in the Mathura district where the cult of Kṛṣṇa first arose and identified with his main consort, the cow-herdess Rādhā (called Vṛndā). This forest features prominently in myths about the youthful Kṛṣṇa in his cow-herder (gopāla) form and is especially known as the place where Kṛṣṇa cavorts with his favorite cow-herdess, Rādhā. Discusses the release from the sins of this world and the attainment of Viṣṇu's world (viṣṇuloka) as well as ways to worship (pūjā) and properly recite the name of Hari (Viṣṇu).
- Title from chapter one colophon (f. 3r).
- Written in 10-14 lines per leaf.
- 84 leaves foliated 1-84, upper left and lower right verso.
- Dated saṃvat 1891 mīti agahanaśukla 11 (Friday, December 12, 1834) (f. 84r).
- Mistakes covered over in yellow or blacked out; some corrections and additions in margins; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red in some parts of the texts.
- Single wooden board serves as a partial cover to manuscript. Wood is cracked and there appears to have been white paint or other substance caked on part of the board covering a thin coat of clear varnish or lacquer. Dimensions of board are approximately 17 x 36 cm.
- Non-Latin script record.
Extent1 item (84 leaves) : 18 x 35 cm
ColophonColophon: iti śrībṛhannāradīye 'ṣṭatriṃśodhyāyaḥ 38 subham astu śrīsaṃvat 1891 mīti agahanaśukla 11 // (f. 84r).
- Vishnu (Hindu deity)
- Krishna (Hindu deity)
- Rādhā (Hindu deity)
- Hindu mythology
- Puja (Hinduism)
- Manuscripts, Sanskrit--19th century
- Manuscripts--India--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Coll. 390 Item 2358: Bṛhannāradīyapurāṇa are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
fol. 84v-[Inside back cover] [=85r
2587_0084.tif (107.1 MB)
2587_0084_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
2587_0084_web.jpg (345.5 KB)
fol. Outside back cover] [=85v
2587_0085.tif (56.5 MB)
2587_0085_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
2587_0085_web.jpg (248.9 KB)